Mono and Diglycerides

Mono and diglycerides are a mixture of 40-95% monoglycerides and 10-60% diglycerides and a small amount of free glycerine and triglycerides. Mono and Diglycerides are blends that vary in content according to the functionality needed.  Blends very high in mono content are commonly referred to as monoglycerides as the diglyceride content is less than 5%.

Grading of mono and diglycerides are typically done with percent monoglyceride content and Iodine Value (IV) which is the indication of unsaturated fatty acid content.

Common Fatty acids in mono and diglycerides

  • Glycerol Monostearate – fully saturated 18:00 IV Value <3
  • Glycerol monopalmitate – fully saturated 16:00  IV Value <3
  • Glycerol Monolaurate – fully saturated  12:00  IV Value <3
  • glycerol monooleate –  mono unsaturated IV value of 65-90
While these are some of the more common fatty acids in mono and diglyceride blends, there also contain other fatty asides as none distilled or purified to very high levels.  So all will be a blend of monoglycerides, diglycerides, triglycerides, free fatty acids, and glycerine. Typically, about 90-95% monoglycerides are the limit and the remaining 5% will be the “other” components.

Del-Val Monoglyceride Blends

  • Special Blend Emulsol 220P 70-80% Saturated Monos for bread
  • 40% monoglycerides / 60% diglycerides
  • 60% monoglycerides / 40% diglycerides
  • 90% monoglycerides / 4 % diglycerides
    • Fully Saturated IV<3
    • Blend of saturated and unsaturated  IV15-30
    • Unsaturated IV 65-90
Mono and diglycerides are a wide range of products with very different properties from hard beads to soft creams that have very different functionalities and uses.  We have the expertise to assist you with finding the proper grade to perform best in your product.
Common uses are
  • Bread – Function as starch complexing agents to improve softness/shelf life and texture.  Only the fully saturated long-chain fatty acids are desired
  • Cakes – Improve cake volume by assisting with creaming/air incorporation.  Improves crumb softness, structure, and increases tenderness. – A blend of mono and diglycerides with both high and low IV values are desired.
  • Pastries and Yeast Donuts -Function as starch complexing agents to improve softness/shelf life and texture. Also increases fat absorption.  Only the fully saturated long-chain fatty acids are desired
  • Ice Cream – Stabilizes, increases the creaminess
  • Margarine – stabilizes the water in oil emulsion
  • Spreads –  stabilizes the water in oil emulsion
  • Desserts – aeration, stability, and maintaining emulsion.
  • Instant Potatoes – maintains and improves texture
  • Pasta – improves machinability

Del-Val Food Ingredients mono and Diglycerides are available

  • 40% monoglycerides for use in caramel to reduce stickiness, chewing gum to improve softness, desserts for aeration and foam stability, margarine and spreads for stable emulsions, ice cream for stable structure and cakes for improved aeration and volume.
  • 60% monoglycerides for use in caramel to reduce stickiness, chewing gum to improve softness, desserts for aeration and foam stability, margarine and spreads for stable emulsions, ice cream for stable structure and cakes for improved aeration and volume.
  • 90% monoglycerides or Distilled monoglycerides – Commonly called DMG90 for use in ice cream to improve crystal size and mouthfeel, bread for soft texture, cakes for increasing volume and soft texture, protein beverage to stabilize protein fat matrix, instant noodles for improved cooking, extrusion snacks to increase swell volume and improve processing, meat, and meat analogs to help with fat dispersion and stop starch retrogradation, foaming agent, lubricant and more.

Please contact us for more information on our mono and diglycerides.